Bravenet.com Malaysia Blog Sites Listing Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Google
WWW MUNDANE

April 15, 2008

For whatever reasons..thou shalt

Monday April 14, 2008 The Star

Thou shalt not steal -- even for thy kid’s birthday

By CECIL FUNG

KUALA LUMPUR: Being short on money, a desperate father did the only thing he could think of to give his child a birthday present – steal. However, the 44-year-old man, a member of a film crew, was not lucky enough to get away with the act.

Security guards caught him when he exited a popular departmental store here without paying for the children’s clothing, which were worth RM133.70. On Monday, Amarjit Singh Jasmail Singh pleaded guilty to committing the shoplifting offence.

He admitted that he stole the items from the Jusco outlet in MidValley Megamall around 4pm on March 6. In mitigation, counsel Wan Ahmad Wan Omar asked for a reduced sentence saying his client did not have a lot of income.

“He committed the offence because he wanted to get a gift for his child’s birthday,” he said.
Magistrate Maimoonah Aid sentenced Amarjit Singh to a day’s jail and fined him RM800.

The fine was paid.

>>>>>>

This reminds me of a little incident happened to me about two years ago. I was at the Gi@nt Superm@rket. After paying, I slowly walked passed the five feet tall detector thingy and suddenly the alarm triggered. A woman with her 2 year old kid also walked out during the same time as mine.

Immediately the security lady stopped me and inspected me. While the women, dengan selambernyer, squated down just a few inches beside me ( I was standing with my hands spread out ) pretending to put on her baby shoes. At first, I was angry and puzzled. Then, I looked at the woman, in fact a few people around there was looking at the woman, even the security, I think, was aware of her. The shoes that was being put on is new. I looked at my other half. He gave me the just-stay-relax look and glanced at the woman.

And I thought, okayyyy..i am the scapegoat here, treated like a criminal and should I feel sorry for her?. I could have demand for explanations and make a request to checkout the cctv of what had actually happened. But, looking at the little kid, I decided to keep quiet and let them inspected me for just a merely 2 minutes. By the time we finished, the woman ..kapish..gone.

But then again, she looked like she is an expert, already 'teaching' the kid vices 101, that if, the kid is hers.

And as per the story above. I don’t know..mix feelings..felt sorry for the daddy, assuming his kid wanted the stuff so much that he can ill afford it and his intention was to make the kid happy. And usually..usually if you’re not a professional thief, you will surely get caught. Obviously, he is stupid (maybe out of preassure). But whatever the reasons are, stealing is not a choice, don’t even start. Hopefully, he learnt his lesson and hopefully he didn’t get into trouble out of that rm800 that was being paid.

As for robin hood…err..i like him hehe ( from the movie lah )

PEACE

11 Comments:

Blogger Moomykin said...

Hey, you know there was another case of a woman also caught stealing in Jusco Wangsa Maju with a friend/relative and her 1+ year old baby?
My MIL and I actually witnessed her theft in the baby's room coz I went in a few times to nurse my baby and every time we went in her baby was wearing a different baju. Also her shopping trolley for more stuff every time we went in.

When we came out my MIL actually said in Cantonese that that woman was stealing. Dunno if there was CCTV or she gave her away.
Oops.

Tue Apr 15, 03:27:00 am GMT+8  
Blogger neomesuff said...

Hmmm..some people just didnt think of the risks if they get caught and..the baby...urmmm i cannot imagine..it'll be sad

Tue Apr 15, 03:31:00 am GMT+8  
Blogger Neeza Shahril said...

I think the mommy should be investigated too. Pity you being a scapegoat then. Yes, we pity for the baby but what will happen to the baby when he/she gets older? Continue stealing like the mommy? Unless she was stealing for food, I can't accept the nasty act.

As for that guy in JJ, I hope he will learn a lesson - never steal coz it costs him a lot more. Baik pinjam duit dari kawan aje rasanya..

Anyway, I'm not in his situation. I don't know what's in his mind..

Tue Apr 15, 01:48:00 pm GMT+8  
Blogger muadzlife said...

it just an excuse to steal for yr loved ones.

but agree with neeze, we're not in his situation, he might has his own reason....

Tue Apr 15, 03:08:00 pm GMT+8  
Blogger neomesuff said...

Neeza: yeah i thot about that too, but everything went so fast. The mix feelings jammed me of even thinking of an action towards her..also looking at the kid it melt me.

The guy in JJ..i stated my points.. i cannot even imagine his feelings assuming the story are true

Eylla: Yeah no excuse, even we are tempted to. If my kids wanted somethin which is mega expensive, I'd just explain to y we cant or not suppose to buy, make them understand you cant always get what you want all the time and must not compare with others who has it

Tue Apr 15, 04:14:00 pm GMT+8  
Blogger Siti Blogger said...

Aww...you're such a kind soul, letting the real criminal go just so a little child gets a pair of shoes. Errr...itu kira bersubahat tak tu? Hehehe....

Tue Apr 15, 11:05:00 pm GMT+8  
Blogger neomesuff said...

eeek...NiN...urmm urmmm..didnt mean it that way...brrrrr heheeee

Tue Apr 15, 11:35:00 pm GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was at a policestation once (dont ask me why la eh), the people at the counter ( makcik polis) were all busy about 'ada tangkapan' of shoplifting case at one of the departmental store.....

so here i am waiting for my police report, and then they came walking,2 police officers, one lady, and 3 kids (one baby and one toddler and one maybe around 5).....

the lady was very prim and proper, in baju kurung, tudung and all,and what she stole was a 'pink bag sekolah' that cost myr49.90, if im not mistaken......

i was expecting a young punk.....and they were asking her to call her husband, she refused, and she was pleading, something like i didnt have money, but my child wanted the bag bla bla bla.....dunno what happened to her, she and the kids was asked to go inside

its amazing,what parents can do for their kids, but stealing for the kids.....is a no no!........

but then again - they have their own reasons guess..........

Sat Apr 19, 10:32:00 am GMT+8  
Blogger neomesuff said...

eh...y were u in the police station aaa...hahahhahaa..eh lupa nak baca dlm bracket heheeeee

hmmm..it sounds sad..but well..urmmm..very hard for me to say about it..sometimes people just do things without thinking out of desperation

Sat Apr 19, 10:46:00 am GMT+8  
Blogger miss cloudy said...

salam perkenalan...
interesting blog...

Sun Jun 15, 02:31:00 pm GMT+8  
Blogger neomesuff said...

Thank you..yeah salam kenal..thanks for dropping by..catcha later ;-)

Sun Jun 15, 05:06:00 pm GMT+8  

Post a Comment Post a Comment

<< Home